Photo of Professionals at Reich, Jumbeck, Stole & Reeb, LLP
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Divorce And Legal Separation
  4.  » Same-Sex Custody Disputes

Helping Same-Sex Parents Resolve Custody Disputes

While Illinois legalized same-sex marriage in 2013, the laws surrounding the allocation of parental rights can still be unclear. Some same-sex couples may not have presumed parentage and they can have issues when protecting their parental rights during a divorce. LGBTQ parents need trusted guidance for disputes involving the allocation of their parental responsibilities.

The attorneys at Reich, Jumbeck, Stole & Reeb, LLP, have over 75 years of combined family law experience in Will, Kendall, DuPage and Grundy counties. Our legal staff can represent your interests in a parental rights case and guide you through the legal process. Same-sex couples are welcome to contact our Joliet law firm and speak with an experienced lawyer.

Helping LGBTQ Parents Navigate The Law

Illinois parental laws do not discriminate between same-sex and opposite-sex parents. Unfortunately, some judges may have limited experience with LGBTQ relationships. The lack of knowledge can create obstacles for same-sex parents. Our attorneys use their years of experience and relationships with the local courts to prevent issues.

The Illinois Parentage Act of 2015 gives presumed parentage to the mother’s spouse, regardless of the spouse’s gender. While this does provide equality to women in same-sex marriages, men in same-sex relationships may not receive the same automatic parentage. This is only one example of the legal gaps that can affect same-sex parents.

Working With Your Unique Situation

Same-sex parents can face legal hurdles when determining their parental rights for children born via in vitro fertilization (IFV) or by a surrogate. These parents may also have a nontraditional custody arrangement that were created before same-sex marriage legalization. Our attorneys can clear up the questions in these legal agreements for both biological and nonbiological parents.

Talk To A Compassionate Family Law Attorney

Our firm works with our clients to get the results that they want. We can represent your interests in negotiations with the other parent and in family court hearings. You can call our firm at 815-770-2669 or send us an message to set up your first meeting.