Divorce is one of the most challenging experiences for anyone, especially for children. It is critical to take care of yourself during this time and to pay attention to how your children are feeling and processing the divorce. Your goal during this time should be for all of you to come out of this experience as healthy and happy as possible.
Take care of yourself first
There are things you can do to care for yourself and your children during and after your divorce, for example:
- Get enough rest.
- Eat healthy foods.
- Stay active.
- Seek support from friends.
- Seek support from family.
- Get professional help from a therapist.
- Join a divorce support group.
- Make time to deal with your emotions.
- Make sure your finances are in order.
- Delegate what you cannot do right now.
These are just a few examples of how you can care for yourself and recharge each day to have more energy and stay healthy. Remember that you must be healthy and strong to properly care for your children.
Taking care of your children
Your children will require extra care during this time. Divorce can be more difficult for children because they often do not understand what is happening, and sometimes they blame themselves. Children thrive on routines and a feeling of security, which can easily be taken away during a divorce.
Routines and honesty
It is essential to ensure that you keep a routine for them and explain what is going on. Being honest with your children is hard, but it is crucial. Other ways of caring for children, other than keeping a consistent routine for them, include:
- Do not bad-mouth your partner.
- Seek professional help for them (their own therapist.)
- Let them know that you are there for them.
- Give them options of other trustworthy adults they can confide on (grandparents, aunts or uncles, etc.) so they do not feel alone and isolated.
- Make plans for them to socialize with their friends and keep an active social life.
- Enroll them in a hobby of their choice.
While all of this may seem like a lot, caring for yourself and your children will make your life easier in the long run. Health is vital for everyone and if you do not focus on ensuring that you are practicing healthy habits, you may see negative consequences in your life.
Divorce is hard no matter what, but there are ways to make it slightly easier by caring for yourself and your children and making sure that you are all practicing self-care on a regular basis.