If you have recently gotten married in Illinois, you and your spouse are looking forward to many years together. Of course, divorce is something that happens often. No couple thinks about it when they first tie the knot, but it can happen. You might want to know a few statistics about divorce.
What is the percentage of marriages that end in divorce?
Divorce is a lot more common than many people think. Nearly half of all married couples in the country end up getting divorced. This is true for couples of all age groups.
The rate is even higher for second marriages at around 60 percent. Those who are in their third marriages have an even higher chance of getting a divorce at 73 percent. At the same time, statistics have also shown that divorce rates in the country are declining.
What are some of the most notable statistics about divorce?
There are some interesting statistics surrounding divorce that you might want know. The most notable include the following:
- On average, first marriages that end in divorce last around eight years.
- People between the ages 25 and 39 years old are the most likely to get a divorce and account for around 60% of all divorces.
- The three main reasons why people get divorced are infidelity, money issues and lack of communication.
- The United States has the sixth highest rate of divorce in the world.
- The average age of couples who go through a divorce with their first marriage is 30.
- Women tend to file for divorce more often than men at 66 percent of the time.
- Around 15% of all women in the country are either divorced are separated.
- Individuals who don’t hold at least a Bachelor’s degree are more likely to get divorce.
Going through a divorce is never easy, but sometimes, it’s the only option available to you and your spouse. If you’ve been unable to save your marriage with counseling or other options, it might be time to file papers.