Divorce, family law and appeals representation in Joliet, Illinois

A Respected Legal Team With The Resources You Need

A reputation for excellence in complex divorce, family law and appeals
In this Section

A way to split retirement plans in divorce

You and your spouse have been busy making plans, including retirement plans. A divorce means you must now think about unmaking those same arrangements.

The good news is that many have been down the same road. Divorce is a legal procedure, and even in a stressful and less-than-amicable split, divorce courts have a tried and true way to do just about everything.

When a QDRO makes sense

In practice, it’s not often called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order but is usually instead referred to as a QDRO, often pronounced “cue-dro” or “quah-dro.”

Regardless, it’s a court order that approves an agreement to split retirement and/or pension plans between divorcing partners.

Retirement plans involving employee benefit packages or pensions are regulated by the federal Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), so the splitting up of such plans requires somebody who is duly authorized to approve any arrangement for divvying up a retirement plan.

For example, transferring funds out of a retirement account usually means an early-withdrawal penalty. An approved QDRO authorizes the division to go ahead without such penalties.

How a QDRO works

The key to how a QDRO achieves this division seems simple enough. The court officially recognizes an “alternate payee” who has certain rights to receive all or some of the benefits in the plan. Legally, only a spouse, former spouse, child or other dependent of the plan’s benefit recipient can be recognized as an alternate payee.

For the QDRO to be approved, it will need to be specific about what will happen to the assets. The specifics need to be negotiated in advance by the plan’s original benefit recipient and the alternate payee, presumably with the help of their respective attorneys.

The information should include the percentage or the dollar amount (or the method that will ultimately be used to determine the dollar amount) paid to the alternate payee. The plan will also need to give the specific number of payments or the specific time period that will be ordered by the QDRO.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Illinois State Bar Association The National Top 40 Under 40 Advocates Will County Bar Association Super Lawyer 2020 Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Family Grundy County Bar Association
Email Us for a response

Start Your Case Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Reich, Jumbeck & Stole, L.L.P.

Reich, Jumbeck & Stole, L.L.P.
Two Rialto Square
116 N. Chicago Street
Suite 203
Joliet, IL 60432

Toll Free: 800-568-2267
Fax: 815-726-2605
Joliet Law Office Map